We are aware that many children have issues with sleep and some that have been exacerbated with the current lockdown situation. Sleep is so important for all our mental, emotional and physical wellbeing. In order to support parents and children with this issue Brooklands School would like to offer you advice and support through our School sleep Counsellors Suzie and Lisa.
We have produced a short video that we would like to share with you filled with ideas and advice on helping your children get a good night's sleep. The video introduces the basics of sleep and some initial tips of sleep hygiene that you could try.
Once we have settled back into the September term, if you think a sleep programme would be beneficial for your child please do not hesitate to contact us. We will arrange a convenient time to call you to arrange an initial meeting. This will be to discuss the implementation of a sleep programme, and to complete a 2 week diary which we would ask you to fill in along with a food diary that will help us to get an idea of your child's routines and patterns.
Parents can also find helpful advice and support on the Sleep Scotland website or in the leaflet attached and of course contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to do so.
Sleep Hygiene video
Information books to support good sleep:
- What To Do When You Dread Your Bed
Dawn Huebner (Magination Press 2008)
- The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep
Carl-Johan Forssén Ehrlin (Ladybird 2015)
- The Little Elephant Who Wants To Fall Asleep
Carl-Johan Forssén Ehrlin (Ladybird 2016)Book lists from The Scottish Book Tru
- Whiffy Wilson, the Wolf who wouldn’t go to Bed by Caryl Hart and Leonie Lord – ideal book for parents to share with children who are about to commence a sleep programme.
- The Invisible String Workbook – Activities for children to help with separation anxiety.
- World Stories – bedtime stories in a number of different languages
- Sleep booklet – basic information on sleep and good sleep practices
- Why Do you Need a Good Night’s Sleep: Get Well Soon – Video for children on why we need to sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep